Bluefish Editor – Open Source Programmers Editor
Forget all about paid programmer editor like Adobe Dreamweaver, it is expensive. Today I want to show you there was a free open source programmers editor, that is Bluefish Editor. What is Bluefish Editor?
Bluefish Editor is an open source programmers editor that targeted programmers and webdevelopers with many options to write websites, scripts, and programming codes.
Bluefish Editor features
Bluefish Editor has many features that can kick others paid programming software from your brain.
- Lightweight – Bluefish tries to be lean and clean, as far as possible given it is a GUI editor.
- Fast – Bluefish starts really quick (even on a netbook) and loads hundreds of files within seconds.
- A What You See Is What You Need interface
- Multiple document interface, easily opens 500+ documents (tested >10000 documents simultaneously)
- Project support, enables you to work efficiently on multiple projects, and automatically restores settings for each project.
- Multi-threaded support for remote files using gvfs (depending on your gvfs setup, you’ll have FTP, SFTP, HTTP, HTTPS, WebDAV, CIFS and more). 1
- Very powerful search and replace, with support for Perl Compatible regular expressions, sub-pattern replacing, and search and replace in files on disk.
- Open files recursively based on filename patterns and/or content patterns
- Snippets sidebar – specify custom dialogs, search and replace patterns or insert patterns and bind them to a shortkut key combination of your liking to speed up your development process
- Integrate external programs such as make, lint, weblint, xmllint, tidy, javac, or your own program or script to handle advanced text processing or error detection.1
- Integrate external filters of your liking, pipe your document (or just the current selected text) through sort, sed, awk or any custom script.1
- Unlimited undo/redo functionality
- In-line spell checker which is programing language aware (spell check comments and strings, but not code), requires libenchant during compilation.
- Auto-recovery of changes in modified documents after a crash, kill or shutdown
- Character map of all unicode characters (requires libgucharmap during compilation)
- Upload / download synchronisation
- Full screen editing on Bluefish Editor
- Many tools such as tabs to spaces, join lines, lines to columns, strip whitespace, etc. etc.
- Customizable programming language support:
- In-line reference information (move your mouse over a function name or tag name) for various programming languages
- Code block folding
- Highlighting matching block start and end markers (both brackets and tags)
with included language definition files for:
- ASP .NET and VBS
- gettext PO
- Google Go
- HTML, XHTML and HTML5
- Java and JSP
- Multiple encodings support. Bluefish works internally with UTF8, but can save your documents in any desired encoding.
- Bookmarks functionality
- HTML toolbar and tearable menu’s
- Dialogs and wizards for many HTML tags, with all their attributes
- Fully featured image insert dialog
- Thumbnail creation and automatically linking of the thumbnail with the original image
- Multi thumbnail generation for easy creation of photo albums or screenshot pages
- User-customizable toolbar for quick access to often used functions
- Compliance with the Gnome and KDE user interface guidelineswhere possible
- Translations into 17 languages – and more are coming for the next releases .
Recently Bluefish Editor is available for Linux, FreeBSD, MacOS-X, Windows, OpenBSD and Solaris.