One of the people’s reason why they are not using Ubuntu is they cannot play games on Ubuntu. In their mind they still think that Linux is still using command line interface. Some of my friends worried that they cannot do their tasks like make a report, using SPSS, AutoCAD, playing games etc. They think that one of the Linux’s weakness is lack of high-quality applications and games. There are many Ubuntu apps and games, but sometimes they can’t satisfy users, mostly Ubuntu newcomer.
They think that they can’t used Linux to be primary operating system. They still think that Ubuntu cannot run Windows application. But actually we can run Windows application on Ubuntu. In this posts I will share how to play Pro Evolution Soccer 2012 on Ubuntu. For your information I use Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin. I can play Pro Evolution Soccer in Ubuntu 12.04 and there is no lag.
Here is some way to play it
Type these on Terminal
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:ubuntu-wine/ppa
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install wine
To install Winetricks, follow the following steps below
- Download Winetricks, type this command
- Type this command to use install importants package
sh winetricks directx9 vcrun2005 vcrun2008 allfonts allcodecs
Setting up Wine
- Open Terminal and type winecfg to configure Wine or you can access it by clicking Application – Wine – Configure Wine
- Make sure that you set these options
OS version: Windows XP
3D settingstVertex Shader Support: Hardware and set Allow Pixel Shader
Audio settings set alsa drivers; Hardware acceleration full; sample rate 44100; bit per sample 16;
unset driver emulation
- Type wine regedit in Terminal
- Create new key Direct3D on HKEY_CURRENT_USER-Software-Wine.
- Create some string
string: DirectDrawRenderer value: opengl
string: Nonpower2Mode value: repack
string: OffscreenRenderingMode value: fbo
string: RenderTargetLockMode value: auto
string: UseGLSL value: readtex
string: VideoMemorySizet value: (your graphic memory size)
- Now install Pro Evolution Soccer 2012 as usual. Make sure that you run the installer using Wine Program Loader. Right click > Open With > Wine Program Loader.
- Now you can play Pro Evolution Soccer in Ubuntu!
Actually you can run not only Pro Evolution Soccer, but also almost all of the Windows games and application in Ubuntu using Wine. In the next post I will tell you how to run other Windows program in Ubuntu.